Tuesday 24 March 2015

Gone... Going

Since the last instalment, I've done a hell of a lot of sweet FA about the cars.

The Pontiac has been a dead loss. After trying and failing to sell it as a roller, I tried to break it for spares. Sadly, the owner of the other late-model Bonneville in the UK (if there even is one) wasn't in the market for spares, or hasn't been watching eBay for the past couple of months. Sum total of parts sold? One. The supercharger. The only bit I wouldn't have minded holding on to.



So today, Oldcott Motors came and hauled away the rolling shell, for which they paid a desultory sum. It will now doubtless be added to their yard from which they sell American car spares for frightening prices.

The orange Mustang is still getting on my tits and shall be up for sale very soon. I tried to address a couple of its issues the other day, starting with the choke. The carb is a Weber 32/36 DGAV from a Euro Pinto, and I started by trying to decode the tag.



The wisdom of the internet has so far told me nothing. The bit that says 1AC is confusing - 1AB and 1AD are quite common on late Pintos, on 2.0 manual Cortinas, Capris, Taunuses and Sierras, but the 1AC doesn't seem to exist. Hey ho.



One of the things I was least delighted to see was the missing screw in one of the choke flaps. Damn, I'm sure it was there last time I looked. I wonder where it could possibly be now?

Having bought a bag of manual choke conversion parts from eBay and found not one single one of them to be the slightest use, I set about fabricating (ie lashing something up). I ended up with this ...



... which was a bodge and a half but was a lot better than the useless electric choke that was on there before. It really needs a return spring on it - the action is very stiff - but it gets the job done. While I was at it, I looked at addressing the driver's door, which had dropped quite a bit. I was pretty sure that you can't adjust the hinge without taking the wing off, but while I was looking to check, I noticed that the pin on the lower hinge had popped up half an inch or so. I took the weight of the door on a trolley jack, tapped the pin back in and the job was done - the door was back to shutting perfectly.

What this means is that, with less than a fortnight to Easter weekend and NSCC Round 1, I don't have a car to take part in. Oh well, if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

Eugene

No comments:

Post a Comment