Sunday 17 February 2013

The Daily Grind

At the end of last year, I went to the Restoration Show at Stoneleigh. It was alright, I suppose, but I did manage to pick up a few bits and pieces, one of which was a box of about two dozen cutting discs for the 4.5" grinder. These are those discs that are about 1mm thick, and I thought that a box of two dozen discs would last me forever.

So, anyway, there's me advertising two Fox Mustangs breaking for spares, and one chap wants the panel that goes between the bonnet and the windscreen. He had his bonnet blow open, and it's ruined the panel. Wahey, thought I, I get to use my new cutting discs! So, finally, Saturday, a day off when it's not raining. I went down to the unit and started cutting.



They go through steel really quickly and cleanly, but Jeeeeeezus, do they wear out quickly! Mind you, cutting that piece out was no picnic - the panel itself is nice and clean, but pretty much every surrounding piece of metal is rotten. From the looks of it, you'd have thought that a well aimed kick would have had the whole box section flying down the yard, but no, it took me two days. And because I had to work in some really tight corners, I had to take the guard off the grinder. So I was working away, dodging the shrapnel and sparks, just waiting for the grinder to hit the next patch of filler and make the car look like one of Charlie Sheen's sneezes, and wondering what that strange foul smell was. Oh, I've just sliced the fingertip off my leather glove. Fortunately my fingers didn't reach all the way to the ends of the gloves (there's a joke in there somewhere...). Then I found a large patch made of ally mesh and fibreglass resin. That was a treat to grind through.

No joy, and then it got dark, so I abandoned it and went back this morning. I finally cut the whole box section out, rotten bits and all. If the guy wants the whole thing, he can pick the bones out of it. The only problem is ...



...I seem to have used up half my box of discs. This was just Saturday's tally. Today's was the same again. Surprisingly, the one on the left was the only casualty of breakage. It got stuck, and the centre twisted out of it. Overall? Brilliant tools, don't last long.

Eugene

No comments:

Post a Comment